How to Apply
Applications for Round 12 are now closed. Round 13 applications will be announced later in 2019.
Questions? Please contact us at [email protected] or 415-863-2141.
Alternative Exposure grants directly fund visual arts projects that provide frameworks of support for artists to create and continue their work. Alternative Exposure is focused on supporting projects that present the work of more than one artist. Both individuals organizing on behalf of multiple artists and groups are eligible to apply. If applying as a group, the artistic group or venue can be either long-standing or formed specifically for this opportunity.
In 2017, Facebook's Artist in Residence program provided additional funding to expand visibility for grantees with short video documentaries about their projects and a culminating, day-long summit in Fall 2019. An FAQ sheet about our partnership is available as a printer-friendly PDF in English and Spanish.
Your application must be completed online.
- Cover Page
- Project Proposal
- Visual Support Materials
- Annotated Descriptive List of Support Materials
- Contact Information
1. COVER PAGE
General information about the applicant(s). All biographies must be in narrative form. Do NOT submit individual resumes or artist CVs.
2. YOUR PROPOSED PROJECT
Outline your project in the form of a brief summary along with a full description and address the following:
A) Project Title
B) Project Summary (100 words max.)
- Summarize your project in a short paragraph.
C) Full Project Description (700 words max.)
- Describe your project in detail.
- What form will your project take?
- Where will your project take place?
- Address your motivations for the project and your plans to support local artists.
- Who is your intended audience? What kind of community impact do you anticipate your project will have?
- Tell us about your project timeline and include milestone dates relevant to your project.
Complete the budget form (in English) or budget form (En Español) with a project budget that estimates all of your anticipated expenses and income (including donated, or 'in-kind' services and labor). The fillable PDF will be best used with Adobe Acrobat, Safari, and Preview if exported as PDF. You will be prompted to upload the completed budget form when you are completing the online application.
4. VISUAL SUPPORT MATERIALS
Include up to two forms of support materials with your application. You will be prompted to upload all digital files and URLs when you are completing the online application.
- Up to 15 digital images – formatted as JPG, GIF, TIFF, or PNG files (not to exceed 800 x 600 pixels, 180 dpi).
- Video: You may submit up to three works or three excerpts of works.
- Web-based Projects: submit a list of up to 3 URLs.
- For print materials that cannot be submitted digitally, please mail or deliver in person by 5:00 PM on Thursday, October 12, 2018, to:
Attn: Alternative Exposure
3030 20th Street
San Francisco, CA 94110
5. ANNOTATED LIST OF VISUAL SUPPORT MATERIALS
Include a checklist that corresponds with each item of your visual support materials. Indicate artist name or organizer's name, title, year, medium, and a brief description of each image (digital image, video, publication, website, etc.).
6. CONTACT INFORMATION
Tell us how we can get in touch with the lead organizer and up to six additional collaborators.