- Teaching Opportunity
THREE PART-TIME CONTRACT SUMMER TEACHING ARTIST POSITIONS AVAILABLE
Southern Exposure seeks THREE LEAD TEACHING ARTISTS who will each facilitate an in-person intensive summer arts program for Mission Voices Summer (MVS).
Southern Exposure (SoEx) is an artist-centered nonprofit organization committed to supporting visual artists. Through our extensive and innovative programming, SoEx strives to experiment, collaborate, and further educate while providing an extraordinary resource center and forum for Bay Area and national artists and youth.
About Mission Voices Summer (MVS):
MVS provides students in the Bay Area ages 16-21 with a visual art space to explore issues relevant to them and their community, exercise leadership skills, and utilize art as a tool for social change.
About the Job: Three Lead Teaching Artists will work with Southern Exposure’s Artists in Education Program Manager to collaborate with and teach approximately 20-40 youth in a series of in-person workshops to produce visual arts projects based on a socially relevant theme. The program runs for 4 weeks: July 10 – August 3, 2023, Monday through Thursday, 12:00 PM – 3:00 PM. Each teaching artist will work a total of 40 hours over the course of the program which includes weekly meetings. The program culminates in a final exhibition presented to the public at Southern Exposure opening August 3.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Design workshop curriculum with components that will be distributed to students
- Attend MVS trainings and curriculum planning meetings on various days June 20 - July 7, exact times and dates TBD
- Attend weekly planning sessions and post-project evaluation meetings
- Gather materials and resources for projects
- Lead the daily workshops in collaboration with Teaching Artist Interns
- Update AIE Program Manager about progress, achievements, and challenges
- Prepare project for final exhibition
- A practicing visual artist with experience in community-based art projects including but not limited to: social practices, photography, video, painting, drawing, sculpture, and other forms of visual art
- Teaching experience with diverse community youth ages 16-21
- Experience developing arts-based curriculum with an emphasis on collaboration
- Good communication skills and experience working collaboratively
- Exhibition design or installation experience a plus
Spanish and/or Chinese language proficiency a plus
Curriculum: Teaching Artists collaboratively propose a socially relevant theme, develop workshops that address that theme, and produce an exhibition at Southern Exposure. Each lead Teaching Artist is responsible for writing a curriculum for their workshops, including goals and objectives of the lessons, proposed outcomes, skills learned, activities, materials needed, themes covered, field trips, etc.
How to Apply: Interested candidates should submit work samples and a single PDF attachment that includes the following:
- Cover letter
- Curriculum Proposal: Please submit a 1-page proposal that outlines a possible project for Mission Voices Summer with a specific medium focus (photography, videography, sculpture, installation, painting, sound, digital media, printmaking, etc). Include an outline of possible curriculum structure, thematic ideas explored, and how to engage with students in their process. Please consider past projects at Southern Exposure as examples (through both the Artists in Education and Projects & Exhibitions programs).
- Links to work samples:
- 5 to 10 digital images hosted online or no more than five minutes of video hosted online
- Projects and work developed with youth are highly encouraged!
- Descriptive list explaining each sample
Please submit applications to Simon Tran at [email protected]. The subject line of your email should be: MVS Teaching Artist, your name.
Please note that hired teaching artists are required by the state of California to submit fingerprints via Live Scan in order to work with youth. Southern Exposure will reimburse expenses.
Position posting date: May 5, 2023
Deadline to submit application: Sunday, May 28, 2023, 11:59pm
Projected class prep work dates before start of program: June 20 – July 7 (Up to 10 hours, Dates/Times TBD)
Class meeting dates: July 10 – August 3, 2023, Monday through Thursday (48 class-time hours plus additional class prep time. Classes meet M-Th 12:00-3:00 PM )
Compensation: The Lead Teaching Artists will receive $31/hour.
Status: Part-time, Temporary, Hourly, Non-Exempt
Reporting Structure: Reports to Artists in Education Program Manager
Southern Exposure is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity. Persons with diverse backgrounds and experiences are strongly encouraged to apply.