- Job Opportunity
DEVELOPMENT AND EVENTS COORDINATOR
Schedule: Full-time M-F, frequent evenings & weekends
Status: Full-Time, Regular, Salaried, Exempt
Reporting Structure: Reports to Executive Director
Deadline to apply: November 26, 2023
Projected start date: December 18, 2023
The Development and Events Coordinator position is an exciting professional opportunity for a highly organized individual with strong event production, communication, and community engagement skills and a desire to work with a dynamic nonprofit arts organization.
Southern Exposure (SoEx) is an artist-centered nonprofit organization committed to supporting diverse visual artists. Through our extensive and innovative programming, SoEx strives to experiment, collaborate and further educate while providing an extraordinary resource center and forum for Bay Area and national artists and youth in our Mission District space and off-site, in the public realm.
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Fundraising, Event Production, and Management
- Leading event production from conception to completion for all fundraising events, including Southern Exposure’s annual benefit auction and Monster Drawing Rally
- Vendor management and communication, event logistics, food and beverage procurement, event production, volunteer management, in-kind donations and sponsorship, etc
- Coordinate and execute on all organizational events (openings, talks, receptions, performances, etc), in collaboration with Facilities & Exhibitions Coordinator
- Manage event budgeting to ensure effective and responsible revenue to expense ratio in line with organization’s budget
- Manage event-specific websites, including auction website and online store, including working with and adapting web templates, inventory management, store fulfillment, etc
Facility Rental Program
- Develop and maintain active recruitment pipeline for Southern Exposure’s facility program, using both external and internal recruitment sources
- Manage facility-related logistics for rental events, clearly communicating parameters for use of space to renters, and ensuring their compliance
- Provide excellent customer service: Respond promptly to email and telephone inquiries, arrange and conduct facility tours, create contracts and invoices for all rentals
- Reconcile facility availability with Southern Exposure programing schedule
- Serve as on-site event coordinator for events
Alternative Exposure Regranting
- Coordinate annual logistics and execution for Southern Exposure’s regranting program, Alternative Exposure, under the leadership of the Artistic Director, including:
- Manage application intake, processing, communication, and grant database. Provide helpful and accurate information to applicants
- Organize and co-lead application informational sessions. Organize jurying sessions and provide logistical support for jurors
- Manage timely correspondence with grantees and general related administration.
- Collect financial and project information from awardees
- Ensure that donation pledges are documented and payments tracked in a timely fashion
- Write and generate solicitation letters, proposals, donor recognition pieces, and other materials as needed
- Use database to document cultivation, stewardship and solicitation efforts, provide accurate donor information, and track financial progress against goals
- Conduct regular review and assessment of donor database for additional and increased giving opportunities
- Lead semester-based recruitment, onboarding, and professional development of interns. Directly supervise 1 intern per semester
- Recruit and supervise volunteers for major events and in-gallery events (~100 volunteers/year).
- Ensure timely communication and clear instruction to volunteers
- Create a warm and supportive environment that leads to high volunteer retention
- Support artist contracting processes, in coordination with the Artistic Director
- Manage inventory and organize supply orders for office
- Assist in day-to-day operations of the organization and support all programs, events, and projects as needed
Skills & Qualifications:
- 2-3 years of related event production experience; nonprofit fundraising experience a plus
- Passion for Southern Exposure’s work and mission. General knowledge of Bay Area visual and experimental arts is a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills with strong editing and proofreading skills
- Budget management and contract management experience
- Keen attention to detail
- Strong spreadsheet management skills; database skills a plus
- Excellent project management skills and comfortability managing multiple projects with different timelines
- Team-player, communicative and collaborative
- Proficiency in office and online tools including Google Suite, CiviCRM, Submittable, and Asana; Clickbid, Square, and DocHub experience a plus
- Basic fluency with Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator a plus
- Basic knowledge of HTML/CSS a plus
Performing this job requires the use of tools or controls, sitting, communicating, standing, climbing ladders, balancing, stooping or kneeling. Lift and manipulate up to 40 lbs. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works on-site at the gallery where the employee may be exposed to dust, fumes, or airborne particles from art supplies.
- Paid vacation time: Up to 15 days of PTO in your first twelve continuous months of employment.
- Full benefits: Medical, dental and vision; optional FSA for health and transit
- Holiday pay: 12 annual paid holidays
- Sick leave: Employees earn 1 hour of paid sick leave for every 30 hours worked, with a cap of 72 hrs
- Professional development: Ongoing training, networking and professional development opportunities, as well as up to $250/yr budget for eligible paid professional development expenses
- Southern Exposure maintains a hybrid work structure; employees have the option to telecommute part-time
How to apply: Interested candidates should send an email to [email protected] with the subject line: “Development and Events Coordinator: your name”. Please attach a cover letter and resume.
Southern Exposure is AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran.