Intern at SoEx!
Southern Exposure is seeking Community Arts Interns for Winter/Spring 2020!
Southern Exposure (SoEx) is a 45 year-old artist-centered non-profit organization committed to supporting visual artists. Through our extensive and innovative programming, SoEx strives to experiment, collaborate and further educate while providing an extraordinary resource center and forum for Bay Area and national artists and youth in our Mission District space and off-site, in the public realm.
For those looking to hone their skills and engage with the Bay Area arts community, Southern Exposure's internship program is a vital part of the organization's operating structure. The internship program provides training within a nonprofit visual arts organization, allowing participants to assume professional-level responsibilities, receive training and guidance from SoEx staff, and understand how a nonprofit arts organization functions. We view the program as an extension of our education and outreach services that help to expand and diversify community interaction.
The principles of Southern Exposure’s internship program are to:
- Provide interns with professional experience in arts administration and teaching
- Prepare interns for, and connect them with, further opportunities within the arts, especially paid positions and leadership roles
- Actively seek out communities and experiences that are underrepresented in arts administration
- Build relationships that share knowledge in omnidirectional ways between interns and staff as well as other SoEx community members
- All interns should be interested in working in a non-profit arts environment, possess strong communication skills and have computer skills. When possible, we partner with schools and community organizations to provide stipends or course credit. Interns work 10-15 hours per week across 2 - 4 days/week.
- Attention to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to self-direct and follow through with long-term projects;
- Knowledge of contemporary artistic practices;
- Working knowledge of Apple computers and Gmail. Experience with Google Drive, Microsoft Word, Excel, InDesign/Photoshop, Facebook, and Instagram is helpful.
Please send a current résumé that reflects any relevant experiences and skills, along with two professional references (contact information only, no reference letters required) and a cover letter that explains what you will bring to the position and what you hope to gain as an intern to [email protected]. Please apply by January 6th, 2019 for full consideration.